We all have our days, don’t we? Days when we are on top of the world as well as days when we are not in the best of moods.
One thing that we often forget to recognize, especially on those “not so good” days, is that our bodies are miraculous creations equipped with the ability to manufacture special “chemicals”, on demand.
I like to refer to our bodies as our very own natural pharmacy. These “chemicals” are called neurotransmitters and neurotransmitters have an effect on how we are feeling. But how do we access these neurotransmitters?
Simple! Have you heard the term biohacking?
Biohacking is a hot buzzword these days and can range from extremely invasive procedures like implanting magnetic chips into our fingers to more mainstream, non-invasive practices such as meditation.
Simply put, it is the act of intentionally tapping into our brain and body in order to optimize performance and create physiological changes, outside the realm of traditional medicine.
Here are 4 simple natural chemical biohacks that are inexpensive, or even free, and proven to be beneficial for our overall mood:
Three ways to biohack Dopamine:
Note: Dopamine (also known as the reward chemical) – is a chemical produced by our brain that makes us feel good.
1. Celebrate little wins. Due to our busy lifestyles it is not uncommon to scratch one thing off our to-do list and quickly move on to the next task. Next time, before moving onto the next task, simply take a moment and have a little dance party…if not physically than at least mentally.
2. Engage in self-care activities. Whichever activities make you feel like you are refilling your proverbial cup will give you an extra boost of Dopamine. Mani/pedi, massage or even arts and crafts are all examples of possible self-care activities.
3. Eat foods that are rich in L-Tyrosine (avocados, bananas, pumpkin seeds and eggs and cheese, if you are not plant based). Even creating a recipe helps boost your Dopamine levels. Oxytocin (also known as the love hormone or cuddle hormone) – is a hormone that helps promote trust, empathy, and bonding in relationships.
Three ways to biohack Oxytocin:
1. Cuddling, hugging, making eye contact or even holding hands all help to increase your Oxytocin levels. This can be done either in a romantic relationship or in a platonic friendship.
2. Rubbing your pet or holding a baby. Think about it, when was the last time you either rubbed your pet or held a baby and it didn’t instantly put a smile on your face?
3. Giving a compliment or talking with friends. I bet you smiled while you read that. Serotonin (also known as a mood stabilizer) – is a hormone and neurotransmitter that helps regulate your mood as well as your sleep, appetite, digestion, learning ability, and memory.
Three ways to biohack Serotonin:
1. Get outside in the sunshine. Just 10-15 minutes a day of sunlight has been shown to have a dramatic effect on your overall mood.
2. Practice meditation. Research has found that meditation not only improves your mood but it also helps to decrease anxiety, decrease blood pressure and improve focus. If you are new to meditation, give yourself some grace, start with just 5 minutes and increase from there.
3. Eating a clean diet is also important as up to 95% of serotonin is produced in the gut. Get creative and see where you can incorporate more bananas, nuts and seeds, leafy greens, probiotics and eggs, if you’re not plant-based, into your diet. Endorphins (also known as the “pain killer” hormone) – are hormones produced by the body and they increase when you engage in reward-producing activities.
Three ways to biohack Endorphins:
1. We’ve heard it before. Laughter is the best medicine. Finding humor in your day is a great way to keep your endorphins flowing and keep a smile on your beautiful face. What’s your favorite comedy to watch?
2. Exercising (HIIT, jogging, swimming or any type of movement that brings you joy and makes you sweat) will give you a boost in endorphins. Lace up those shoes, turn on your favorite tunes and get moving.
3. Eating dark chocolate! Need I say more? But in addition to dark chocolate, spicy foods will also do the trick.
Above are just some of the many ways you can instantly infuse more happiness into your everyday life.
If you have some favorites that already work for you, continue doing those. If you don’t, pick any of the above and notice how your mood starts to shift.
You will want to pay particular attention to selecting activities from each category so that you can reap the full benefits of all of the “happy” hormones.
Join Charyse Williams and Learn more by joining her Facebook! and if you really want to stay connected with Charyse then join her on her Instagram! Happy biohacking and be sure to share these tips with a friend!
Charyse is a former ICU nurse with over 2 decades of expertise in traditional healthcare, education, leadership and coaching. Being a wife for 25 years and a mother of two sons, Charyse has come to understand that health is our greatest wealth and without that, we have nothing. Charyse is passionate about empowering women to take control over their health, ditch outdated and ineffective beliefs and replace them with natural, sustainable and holistic practices.
She specializes in teaching high-achieving female Entrepreneurs, Executives, Healthcare Professionals, who are ready, how to assist their bodies in healing itself with the foods they eat, the thoughts they think and the words they speak so that they can release excess weight and prevent/reverse disease. Her clients are able to release excess weight and bring their bodies back into balance while running successful businesses/careers and raising a family.
What truly sets Charyse’s coaching apart is that she teaches her clients how to listen to AND work with their bodies to achieve optimal health through her proprietary Feel Better Faster Formula®, a proven system that has helped 100s of women reclaim their health without surgery or medication